Tags

, , , , , , , , ,

There is a long-standing debate regarding whether carbon dioxide is in fact a contributor to climate change. However no definitive answer to this debate has been established.

SINCE THERE IS A LACK OF A DEFINITE ANSWER, HOW CAN A DEFINITE ACTION SUCH AS THE IMPLEMENTATION OF A CARBON DIOXIDE TAX BE JUSTIFIED?

We seek to challenge the implementation of the carbon tax by discussing its implications on the environment as well as on society.

But first here’s a quick run down of some basic background information about the Carbon Tax.

 

What is the Carbon Tax?

It’s not a tax on pollution but a tax on Carbon Dioxide (CO2). The carbon tax targets companies and manufacturers in an effort to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide they release into the atmosphere annually.

Where has it been implemented?

Australia, although various nations around the globe have also implemented some form of a carbon tax (we will focus on this in depth in other posts).

When was it implemented?

In Australia it was implemented on the 1st of July 2012.

Who implemented it?

The Labor government under Julia Gillard.

How it works.

The aim of the tax is to raise the cost of using fossil fuel energy in Australia. However less than 4% of carbon dioxide emissions are the results of man-made actions, with the other 96% being attributed to natural factors.

 

 

Advertisements