According to the ABC, in laymen’s terms, this is how the Carbon Tax will work:
- From midnight when you’re in bed, your heating system is slugging you with a carbon tax.
- When you get out of bed and turn on the light, you will be slugged the carbon tax.
- When you shuffle into the shower, your gas hot water will be slugged by the carbon tax.
- When you get out of the shower and dry your hair with the hair dryer, you will be slugged with the carbon tax.
- When you turn on the kettle for a cup of coffee, you will be hit by the carbon tax.
- If you like a sugar with your coffee, that’s bad luck, Mackay Sugar is a big polluter.
- If you have milk with your coffee, bad luck again, dairy companies are listed as big polluters.
- And when you take the milk out of the refrigerator – you pay twice, for the electricity and the refrigerant.
- If you enjoy a bit of Vegemite on your toast, that’s bad luck again, Kraft is a big polluter.
- When you cook the toast in the toaster, you pay the carbon tax on the electricity.
- If you decide instead to have cereal, remember you are paying carbon tax on the milk and the electricity to heat up the milk in the microwave.
So when you’ve finished breakfast what’s next? If you are planning to spend Sunday cleaning up the backyard and taking a load of rubbish to the tip, then once more you will be digging into your pocket to pay increased dump fees due to the carbon tax.
A trip to a shopping centre will also cost you. The major retailers have included a carbon tax clause into their leasing contracts so the cost is passed through. The shoe store, the hairdresser or the cafe will be paying more and so will you. The alternative is that they will have to cut costs elsewhere and that will mean staff.
Thanks ABC for informing the nation how we will be affected by the Carbon Tax!