We all know how confusing it can be to get our heads around the science aspect of the carbon tax or climate change or carbon emissions. See, we’ve already lost you after mentioning just three terms!
In order to make your life easy we’ve provided below some basic facts courtesy of the Galileo Movement, about the science behind the carbon tax that everyone is getting so riled up about. We’ve also provided this information in the simplest manner possible so that you don’t zone out. So enjoy!
Some basic facts about Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- CO2 levels in the air are less than 0.04%
- Humans only produce 3% of CO2 annually
- Nature alone controls the air’s CO2 levels
- CO2 is a natural trace gas essential for all human life on Earth
- 97% of CO2 is produced by nature annually
- CO2 only resides in the atmosphere for 5-7 years and then is recycled back into plants, oceans and soils.
Some basic facts about Climate Change
- There has not been an increase in global atmospheric temperature since 1998
- Our climate varies naturally between cooling-warming-cooling cycles with temperature variation being attributed to natural causes such as El Nino and solar activity
- Ocean temperatures have been flat or slightly cooling since 2003
- Australia’s sea levels have only risen 0.3 mm per year for the last 15 years and in 100 years time that will be just over one inch
- Pacific Islands sea levels show no rise since measurements began in 1992
- There has been no increase in storm activity or strength
Hopefully that was simple enough for you guys to understand! If you have anymore to add please feel free to comment below! We’d love to hear from you.